Campbell[[kæ mbana] is a municipality in Santa Clara County, California, on the southern outskirts of Silicon Valley. At the 2010 census, the city had 39,349 inhabitants. It is a residential rather than high-tech city, but it has seen the beginning of eBay.
Santa Clara County
15.24 km2 ()
37° 17′ 02′ N, 121° 57′ 18′ W
39,349 hab. ()
|Number of households|
2,581.2 hab./km2 ()
City of the United States
95008, 95009, 95011
The city is served by a tram, and due to its proximity to San José, it takes only an hour by train to get to San Francisco (Caltrain).
Campbell was founded by Benjamin Campbell. He came to California with his father William Campbell in 1846. William took over a mill in the town of Saratoga. In 1851, his son Benjamin purchased land (0.65 km2) for the purpose of cultivating it. This land later became Campbell's historic downtown. In 1839, nearly a third of Campbell belonged to the Rinconada ranch in Los Gatos.
In 1878, Campbell sold his land for US$5/acre to the railway company. In 1887, the city began to be built on what now corresponds to Campbell Ave and the Water Tower Plaza. Campbell's fruit producer company began to have a good reputation, and in a very short time Campbell became a very important railway center, as production was from there. Campbell's bank was founded in 1895.
Campbell officially became a city in 1952. Urbanization took place at the expense of the many orchards. Today, Campbell is a residential city.
According to the American Community Survey, for the period 2011-2015, 69.39% of the population over 5 years of age reported that they spoke English at home, while 11.36% reported that they spoke Spanish, 3.99% spoke Chinese, 2.18% said they spoke Russian, Vietnamese, 1.4 9% Serbo-Croatian, 1.07% Japanese, 0.95% Persian, 0.85% Tagalog, 0.79% Korean, 0.71% Hebrew, 0.62% Hindi, 0.57% French, 0.54% Hebrew and 3.43% others language.
Campbell is surrounded north and east by San José and south by Los Gatos. The city stretches over 9.5 miles2, of which 0.3 km2 is covered with water (Los Gatos Creek, San Tomas Creek...).
State Route 17 follows approximately Los Gatos Creek on its east side, and State Route 85 crosses Campbell east to west from Los Gatos to the southwest of the city.
Campbell is served by major roads, including Highway 17 (Highway 17), Highway 85 and St. Thomas Express (San Tomas Expressway). It has major arteries such as Winchester Boulevard and Bascom Avenue.
Public transportation is operated by the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority, and includes an extensive network of local and express buses connecting the city with other neighboring cities (Cupertino, Los Gatos, Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara and Saratoga). The city is served by three tram lines. The Tram network is expected to expand in the coming years, and as soon as finances permit, Los Gatos is expected to be served by bus. This extension is a subject of dispute with the federal railway administration because of the noise caused by trains.
At the county level, Campbell is located in the 4th riding. The city is represented at the Santa Clara County Assembly by supervisor Ken Yeager. In the state legislation, Campbell is located in the 11th district of the Senate, and is represented by Democrat Joe Simitian, and in the district assembly by Jim Beall.
Federally, the city is in the 15th district of California, and is represented by Democrat Mike Honda. The city is represented by the city council, which elects the mayor and vice-mayor every year. In December 2009, Evan Low and Jason Baker were elected mayor and vice-mayor respectively.
Barracuda Networks, Move and YouSendIt are the main companies based in Campbell.
Business and real estate
Although the city is primarily residential, there are a few major shopping centers as well as business centers in Campbell (PruneYard Shopping Center). Fry's Electronics and The Home Depot are among the city's largest employers.
The majority of the population lives in houses. But there are a few buildings and condominiums. The houses have one or two bathrooms, and three to four bedrooms. Their surface is between 93 m2 and 150 m2. The terrain is generally around 560 m2. The houses were built during the period 1950-1970, in the city center the building is older. The apartments are mainly located in the north, on Hamilton and Campbell Avenue.
Downtown is located near Campbell Avenue, close to the railway. There are shops and restaurants. The oldest commercial building was built in the 1920s, originally for Grower Bank. He then became a cinema in 1938, then in 1968 became a theater-cafe.
In October 2006, the median price of condominiums and houses was around $700,000, and the price per square meter was $5,000 (San Jose Mercury News source).
Figures from Campbell's 2010 Financial Report[ref. necessary].
|#||Employer||# of employees|
|2||Whole Foods Market||250|
|5||Mohler, Nixon & Williams||178|
|6||City of Campbell||164|
|8||Durham School Services||143|
|10||Signature Building Maintenance||136|
The municipal library is governed by the Santa Clara County Library.
Points of interest
- In the early 1990s, Ainsley House, a Tudor-style house from 1925, was moved from its original site (where eBay is today) to the city center. This house was built in a provincial English style by John Colpitts Ainsley, a pioneer of the Santa Clara County Container.
- Campbell's Town Hall is located in the northwest of Winchester Avenue and Campbell Avenue, in a building that was once Campbell's High School. The redwoods present are an important legacy of the past, since they were planted in 1903 by President Teddy Roosevelt. They were bought by the city in 1985, five years after the school closed. The "Heritage theater" (formerly the high school theater) was renovated and reopened in 2004.
- For years, Campbell developed an effective sport program for young people in baseball, which enabled him to reach 14 times the World Series from 1960 to 1987. In 1962, Campbell was the only team in Northern California to win a Little League World series. In 2009, a book on the culture of baseball in Campbell "the last baseball town" was written by Chuck Hildebrand.
- In 1975, Mayor Rusty Hammer became the youngest mayor in the history of the United States
- The fruit cocktail was invented in Campbell.
- Singer and guitarist Lars Frederiksen of punk band Rancid grew up in Campbell, and he frequently mentions the city in his songs.
- Lars Frederiksen of Rancid and Lars Frederiksen & The Bastards
- Dave Meltzer, editor
- Billy Wilson, soccer player (1951-1960)
- Craig Morton, football player (1965-1982)
- Joe Staley, San Francisco 49ers player, (2007 - )
Notes and References
- (en)"Campbell, CA Population - Census 2010 and 2000", on censusviewer.com (accessed October 9, 2016)
- (en) "Population of California - Census 2010 and 2000", on censusviewer.com (accessed October 9, 2016)
- (en) "Language spoken at home by ability to speak français for the population 5 years and over", on factfinder.census.gov.